Friday, July 24, 2015

Diller Chicago Cohort 2 ISS, July 18

Shabbat in Jerusalem is always such a unique, meaningful experience, but being with each other made it even more special. Starting off the day, we had to choose a synagogue we wanted to go to for Shabbat morning services. Considering we were in Jerusalem, we knew whichever one we went to would be a new, fun experience, but we were still given four options. Friday night we had all gone to a Reform service for Kabbalat Shabbat, so they were all either Conservative or Orthodox. At home, I usually go to a Conservative or Modern Orthodox synagogue but wanted a different experience, so my personal choice was to go to The Great Synagogue which is Orthodox. I heard that they had a choir and was really excited to hear that, but they turned out to not be there because of the nine days before Tisha B’Av. Even though the service ended earlier than I expected it to and there was no choir, it was really impactful to sit with just the women, hear all the prayers in Jerusalem, and admire how beautiful the space is. I’m so glad that I got to have this learning experience because it not only taught me things about a typical Shabbat in Jerusalem, but also new things about myself and what kind of Jewish life I’d like to live.
After the various services at our chosen synagogues, we spent time outside at a beautiful park, toured the historical neighborhoods in Nachlaot, rested, chanted havdalah and a song session at the Kotel, and ended the day with an exciting rehearsal of our song that some of our own Diller members wrote to introduce our group to the rest of the North American (and South African) groups this week at Kennes. Overall, I think this Shabbat was extremely meaningful because I was in the best city ever, Jerusalem, with such an amazing cohort.



Eden Berke

No comments:

Post a Comment