Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Diller Chicago Cohort 2 ISS, July 28

The last day of community week finally came. Looking back on the week, it felt like a huge blur of time that went by fast, but it also felt like it had been going on forever. We started the day with a ma'agal boker where we made posters showing what we think would help make the world a better place. We then went on to Angels Forest where we did a scavenger hunt and had to exercise our navigation skills. We went to a greenhouse as well, and then drove to the kibbutz where we reflected on community week and had the closing ceremony.


When all the families of the Israelis were there, I could see the Americans interacting with their host families like they were their very own families. It was such an amazing, beautiful thing to see how close and comfortable my fellow Americans and their Israeli families had become with each other in just one week. On a more personal level, I feel like the luckiest girl in the world because I got the perfect family for me. I was put in such amazing, caring, lovely, warm, laughter-filled, and extremely welcoming home. As nerve-wracking as it is to be hosted by a family in which you only know one person, they made me feel as if I was right at home, and I got to know everyone else in the family very well also. As strong as my feeling of belonging in Israel was before this trip, now I know I have a real (not just a feeling of) family in Israel who I can always count on being there. As cliché as this all is, from the bottom of my heart, I can honestly call the Raviv family my own family, and Reut's siblings my own siblings. Overall, getting to see and hear that my fellow Chicagoans also felt this real feeling of having a family in Israel, made the closing ceremony of community week so much more special than I could have ever imagined. It was an amazing end to the best week of my life.


~Eden Berke 

No comments:

Post a Comment